What is the National Resource and Technical Assistance Center for Improving Law Enforcement Investigations?
The NRTAC is a training and technical assistance center, created in collaboration with the Bureau of Justice Assistance, to improve law enforcement investigations at the local level through the development of resources on new tools and methodologies; assessment of current practices and recommendations on innovative investigative policies and practices; assessment of departmental investigatory functions and practices; and issue related recommendations for improvement of investigative practices. The NRTAC will provide site-specific assistance from some of the nation’s most accomplished investigators, prosecutors, researchers, and policy experts who are directly relevant to the investigative process and criminal justice system. All efforts will incorporate crime science findings to focus on the small number of serious, habitual offenders in neighborhoods (hotspots) suffering precipitous crime increases. TTA will be customized, and may involve one or more Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) based upon the nature of the request.
News and Events
- Click here to view NIJ's report to Congress on the DOJ Needs Assessment of Forensic Laboratories and Medical Examiner/Coroner Offices.
- Click here to view a recent webinar on Cold Case Solvability and Using Science in Investigations.
NEW Investigative Resources
- Click here to view a NIBIN Lead Investigative Checklist available for download.
- Click here to view an Investigative Management Checklist available for download.
- Click here to view a Defining Nonfatal Shootings Checklist available for download.
- Click here to view Homicide Case Information Checklist available for download.
- Click here to view a Crime Scene Investigative Checklist available for download.
- Click here to view the Cold Case Solvability Matrix available for download.
Training & Technical Assistance
In collaboration with BJA, the Police Foundation and its partners will provide selected agencies with proactive and on-demand training and technical assistance, including practical guides and checklists, technical briefings and training, and quick reaction assessments as warranted. This assistance is available from law enforcement, investigative and prosecution experts, forensics experts, technologists, and academic experts who can share unique insights into effective and efficient processes and approaches to improve a wide range of criminal investigations.
To request technical assistance, training, or other resources through this initiative, agency POCs should fill out an online request form, located under the Request Training and Technical Assistance tab. Agency POCs can also send an email to TTA@policefoundation.org or call the Police Foundation at 202-833-1460.
For more information, go to our Training & Technical Assistance page.